Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Migration and Gravity.

Migration and Gravity.

Gravity is the force of attraction between all masses in the universe; especially the attraction of the earth's mass for bodies near its surface; "the more remote the body the less the gravity"; "the gravitation between two bodies is proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them".

In Theory Post-modern art takes advantage of gravity, by freeing itself of ‘mechanical’ forms and pursuing iconographies that evoke ‘energy,’ which is a mark of dematerialization. Art breaks out of fixed frames and spreads itself in space. It is produced and received by way of intermediate electronic equipment such as videos.

For many years as an artist, I been trying to deal with my migration as part of a most controversial migration like the Diaspora from people from African descent in the entire globe.This Diaspora that affected my life and still runs in me becomes part of a new Diaspora.

My migration to America and then to Europe have drastic repercussions on my way of seen the world and my art. I try to explore these relations and focus in the relations of all this factors as an Afro Latin-American artist. Portraying me and using myself as a performer on my work give me the opportunity of explore with my body and all the elements that surround my life in new places and new environments.

Gravity is an elemental factor for all relations humans have on earth. I believe that Diaspora and gravity have a relation with each other. On my installation Circles & Teletransportation in the oude kerk (Old Church) in Amsterdam, I explore this relation that goes back to thousand of years in human history. Circle of life is a series of installations in which you see me jumping from my origins to a different world, different dimension in space and time. These installations study my situation, On how I got here.

Some of my falling series explore this daily life situation and the closeness to gravity. The most brilliant moment is to see all this basic points of my work as migration, gravity and the decisive moment put together in one palette.

Antonio Jose Guzman

Listen a series of A.J. Guzman interviews at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam


Click here Guzman at the Stedelijk One Guzman at the Stedelijk Two Guzman at the Stedelijk Three